Wednesday, November 5, 2014

No Excuses


I got my hair cut a couple of weeks ago and was talking about working out with my cute stylist/friend Becky. I've known Becky for more than 15 years. She's great.

She is also really tiny and has always been in great shape. She works for it though by eating well, doing boot camps and running on a regular basis.

She told me about another client of hers and a conversation they had recently. This girl struggles with her weight and was complaining to Becky that she would work out more, but that she just doesn't like it.


Honey, no one likes to work out.


It's painful...


...and uncomfortable...


...it's inconvenient...


...and hard...


...and dirty...


...and oh-so-smelly...


...it can be overwhelming...


...and, lots of times,  it's embarrassing...



But, the benefits far outweigh the cost and fitness is always more than worth any amount of effort you put into it.


We do this for the results.


My girls and I have serious anxiety every single Tuesday and Thursday prior to our training sessions.

What if I can't do it today?

What if I throw up at the top of the bleachers?


What if I fall off the treadmill in front of everyone?

What if Mike gets after me for not giving 100%?

What if I smell so bad that everyone has to leave the gym?


What if today is the day I actually die from excessive burpees/lunges/jump squats?

What if I pass out on the track and someone has to give me CPR?


What if I fail?!?!


All of these are very real possibilities and MOST have actually happened to me...and will continue to happen.


However...


The benefits still outweigh whatever pain, discomfort, inconvenience, anxiety and embarrassment that could ever happen.


And, you know what? Maybe because all of this could (and does) happen, we become stronger. Not only physically, but mentally and emotionally as well.


Isn't this why we do this? Isn't this why we continually leave the comfort of our stretchy pants and cozy couches to voluntarily jump squat up and down one of the busiest streets in Orem? To become healthier and stronger and all-together better?


Yep, that's why I signed up for this.


Here's to results, whatever the cost.



1 comment:

  1. This is soooo true! I have just started realizing how true this is! I feel so much better about myself if I just take care of me... What I eat, and working out! It makes a world of difference when I do! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Love it! You have such a great way of saying things!

    ReplyDelete