Saturday, November 8, 2014

Quinoa Black Bean Salad

I am continually on the hunt for healthy and delicious recipes.


I mean, just because we choose to eat healthy doesn't mean we can't have fun, right?


I am trying to be excited about quinoa because I know it's super good for me. However, until last night, I just couldn't talk myself into loving it.


This has all changed, my friends.


I wanted something delicious for dinner and after a quick Google search, I found this amazing salad.



Quinoa and Black Bean Salad

1 tsp olive oil
1 onion chopped
(or if you're me, just buy the frozen onions that are already chopped and use about 1/2 of the bag - I hate chopping onions)
2 cloves garlic
3/4 c quinoa (rinsed well)
2 c chicken broth
(I added 2 tsp of chicken bullion to 2 c of water and let it simmer for about 5 minutes)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 c frozen white corn
1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
3 T cilantro
(I'm not a huge fan of cilantro and I also hate chopping it so I bought it dried - in the spice aisle - and only added 3 T - or less. The original recipe calls for 1/2 a cup so put as much as you want)
Salt and pepper to taste

Over medium heat, sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil until the onion is translucent - about 10 minutes.

Add the quinoa to the pan (do not forget to rinse it or you'll be sorry, huh Erica? It's really bitter if you don't rinse it well) and sauté it for about 5 minutes to brown it a little and bring out more of the taste. Make sure the heat isn't too high and that you stir it a lot so it doesn't burn.

Add the chicken broth, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt and pepper and bring this to a boil. Let it simmer for 12 to 15 minutes until the quinoa is soft and the broth is absorbed.

Add the frozen corn and let it heat through for about 5 minutes, then add the rinsed black beans and cilantro.


I ate it with grilled chicken and a green salad. It's amazing and I'm sure you'll love it.


I adapted this recipe and got the photo from Allrecipes.


It takes a little time and energy to make, but it is well worth the effort, I promise. It's also really good left over.


Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious! I'm trying it this week....so excited!

    ReplyDelete