Monday, October 13, 2014

Obstacles

When we got to the gym last Tuesday, Mike was rushing around setting up a little obstacle course.



Except, it wasn't little. It was humongous and really difficult.



But - deep down - we knew that it was really just a matter of time until something like this showed up.



He grabbed Brianne right away and showed her what he wanted her to do. Whew! I was relieved that I didn't have to participate.


However, my relief was short-lived. Not only did I also have to do this obstacle course but, I was so incredibly slow (and uncoordinated) that B lapped me about 25 times.



That's not embarrassing at all.
(and, yes, I heard "Get moving Cali!" about 210 times in an hour).


So, here's how it went.


We had to jump over the first two things (I have no idea what they're called - but they're high), then squat on the 3rd (so low that our booty touched the yellow strap - thanks for that suggestion Jess). 


Funny how it didn't seem so high when we had to lower our butt that low.


Then, we jumped forward over the next two, then sideways to the right to the 25 lb kettle bell.


There, we did squats and lifted the kettle bell to our chin as we stood up, then flipped it upside down over our heads.


And repeat.


30 times, guys.


Then, we jumped to the left twice, forward twice, to the left twice more and made it to the mat.


There, we got to do 20 burpees.



We had to do 3 sets of all of that.



THEN, can you see the workout platforms (stools? I really need to broaden my workout vocab) on the left of the photo? You'll notice that there are 2. A tall one and a taller one. (I'm not even sure why Mike teases us with options because we never actually get them).

So, by the time I got to the platform section and grabbed the 15 lb kettle bell and stepped up on the shorter platform, Mike rushed over and took the shorter platform away.


Great, because I was doing so well anyway.



So, we had to do 20 step-ups with each leg and the 15 lb kettle bell. No big deal.


Then, guess what we had to do?


We had to sprint to the stop sign and back.


And, we did this - over and over - for our whole workout. I seriously wanted to pass out. Seriously.


But, you know what? I did it. It wasn't pretty or graceful or fast, but, I did way more than I thought I would be able to. I complain to and about Mike a lot (not all the time, I do have to sleep - lol) but I really appreciate him. I need him to push me and yell at me and keep me accountable. He is also pretty good about encouraging - but not usually until the workout is over - when he comes out of trainer Mike mode.



I am grateful that he pairs me up with Brianne and Charis who are in such good shape. I am not close to where they are physically, but they push me to do better and make me hustle in the attempt to keep up.


Lately, I have been thinking about obstacles in this journey of mine. Most of the obstacles come from my own insecurities and lack of confidence. Am I really doing this? Can I even do this? As silly as it sounds, I have to continually remind myself that this is it, this is my life now. 


I AM DOING THIS.


Sure, it's not happening as fast as I want and I hit walls often, but my body is changing and I am stronger and more confident than ever before.


Another re-occurring obstacle is making time (it's not just going to happen) - time for exercise and to plan and cook healthy meals. It takes a lot of time and energy to put my health and fitness first and still be able to fit everything in life into each day. It can be over-whelming sometimes. Even though I am far from perfect, it is getting more manageable.


Laziness is a huge obstacle for me. My favorite place to be is on my couch, in my stretchy pants, just vegging out to a marathon of any trashy show. Why is TV not as enjoyable on a treadmill? I don't think I'll ever know the answer. Plus, the last thing I want to do when my alarm goes off at 5:15 am is get up and work out. I am not great at this, but little by little I am improving.


I just have to continually weigh the costs and benefits. There is nothing as great or important as being healthy. Mike reminds us all the time that we don't have anything if we don't have our health. We can work and save our whole lives, but it will be for nothing if we aren't healthy enough (or alive enough) to enjoy it. And that doesn't just apply to the end of our lives. It applies to right now - to today.


Life is so much happier when your health is your #1 priority.




We have to decide every single day what our priorities will be.


And, if we mess up one day, start again.


Tomorrow is a new day and a new opportunity to be awesome!



(I got these quotes here)



1 comment:

  1. I did obstacle courses in elementary gym class, it was way fun. We played capture the flag too.

    Thanks for letting me share.

    ReplyDelete