Sunday, August 17, 2014

Another Great MSN Article

We are big fans of the good people down at MSN.


Here is an article that resonated with me.




These are the 7 small changes they list to help you lose weight. I do just about all of these, so I will tell you how they've helped me.



1. Eat breakfast every day

This one is hard for me. I love sleep and I don't love mornings. As a result, I sleep until the very last second possible so not much food prep happens for me before I rush out the door to work. Breakfast is so important - I have found it's easier for me to eat healthy during the day if I start with a high protein breakfast. I also eat less throughout the day. I rotate between 2 scrambled eggs with salsa, cottage cheese with fresh fruit, a protein shake and plain oatmeal sweetened with stevia.

2. Downsize your dish

The bowls in my favorite set of dishes are huge. This has been a problem for me because it's hard to control portions when my cereal bowls hold 3.5 cups. I have had to down-size. I bought smaller bowls so I have more control and feel more satiated with the right amount of food because it takes up more room in a smaller bowl.

3. Trade up your fork

I haven't tried this but the article says using a bigger fork and taking larger bites helps you feel full faster. I'll have to try it.

4. Drink lots of water

Mike tells us to drink half of our body weight in ounces of water each day. That's a lot of water! To be honest, I haven't slept more than 4 hours straight since February 26th. Lots of trips to the baƱo, if you know what I mean. Water makes such a difference for me. I definitely lose more weight when I drink the right amount of water - and the right amount for me is up to a gallon a day. Most days, I don't drink anything but water, just to make sure I get enough. I definitely notice when I do and do not drink enough water.

5. Display produce proudly

Eating healthy is expensive and it takes a lot of work. Mostly because I make 2 or 3 trips to the store every single week. It could have to do with the fact that I'm not a super great planner, but mostly it's because I have to buy fruit and vegetables more often then the packaged food I used to eat. For me, if it's out of sight, it's out of mind and, since I like fruit and vegetables cold, I keep them on the top shelf of my fridge. That way, they are staring at me each time I open the door. I also am more likely to eat them for a snack if they are washed, cut up and ready to eat. I usually do that on Sunday nights so they are ready for the week ahead.

6. Snack on yogurt

I haven't always liked yogurt but I can now eat it on a fairly regular basis. I lived in Spain for a few months and people I met there often eat yogurt for dessert. I thought that was so weird but now I find myself eating it after meals - instead of ice cream - and I think it's great. You have to be careful because a lot of yogurt has lots of sugar. I eat Chobani plain yogurt sweetened with 5 drops of stevia. Of course, it's not as good as a big bowl of ice cream but it helps me stay on track.

7. Enjoy a small treat

Mike - for sure - is not going to agree with me on this one, but I think a small treat, every once in awhile, is perfectly okay. (I'm pretty sure I'll have to do extra burpees when he reads this). So much in life centers around food - birthdays, hanging out with friends, dating, parties, good days, bad days. Plus, if I don't let myself have a small treat every so often, I might go crazy and eat a whole row of Oreos (I have actually done that in my pre-Mike life).


I like this list. Nothing life changing, but simple things that can make a big difference.





No comments:

Post a Comment