Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Green(ish) Smoothie

Well, actually, it's kind of purple. But, this is currently my favorite smoothie. I have one just about every day.


I'm no nutritionist, but it works for me and it tastes pretty great.


I am not always the biggest fan of bananas. I don't like them too green and definitely don't like them too ripe, so, when I buy them, there's like a one-day window that I'll actually eat them. Consequently, I have thrown a lot of bananas away in my life. Plus, even though they have natural sugars, the content is really high, especially the more ripe they get.


Fortunately, I have found a solution. I buy bananas a little green and cut each one up in 5 or 6 pieces, then...I freeze them! Brilliant, I know! (I got the idea from a friend, so I can say that). This works so well because, when I want to make a smoothie, I pull out 2 or 3 chunks of frozen banana and throw them in my trusty Magic Bullet. It adds to the 'bulk' of the smoothie because they're frozen and I get less sugar since I'm not eating the whole banana.


Aside from frozen banana chunks, I add the following:
- a handful of spinach 
- 1 tablespoon of flaxseed (make sure it is ground)
- 1 tablespoon of PB2 (This is the best stuff EVER invented. It is powdered peanut butter and it's amazing! It has all - or most - of the protein of regular peanut butter but a lot less fat - plus, it tastes great)
- a handful of frozen blueberries
- a couple of ice cubes (not completely necessary but I like thick smoothies)
- 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
- about 1/2 a cup of skim milk


For dinner after a training session, I usually have 2 scrambled eggs (cooked with 1 tsp coconut oil) with salsa and one of these smoothies.


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment