Thursday, August 28, 2014

I See You

A couple of weeks ago, a bunch of us went to lunch for Brianne's birthday. (I would post a pic of us at lunch but no one took a photo, which is very strange for our group - and girls in general, for that matter). Anyhoo, we went to Malawi's which is a really great pizza/pasta place that donates a meal to Africa for every meal purchased.


Good food and a good cause.


win/win


I have been doing okay with my diet. Sure, I mess up at times, but I do pretty well most days - even perfect sometimes. This particular Thursday was not one of those days. I walked into the restaurant with every intention of getting a chicken caesar salad and a water. However, when I got to the lady taking my order, I opened my mouth and these words came out, all on their own:

"Can I please have the salad/pasta combo - the thai beef pasta and the caesar salad. Oh, and a water cup, please."


But, in my defense, this combo comes with 1/2 orders of the pasta and the salad, so that's okay, right? The craziest part is that I never - even in my former life - get pasta because it usually makes my stomach really upset. I think it's the combo of all the grease, fat and carbs. I (used to) like pasta that I make because I can control what goes in it, but I hardly ever order it at restaurants.


Anyway, that's what I got and I only felt guilty for about 3 seconds because, you guys, it was just about the most delicious thing that I have ever eaten. No joke.


Plus, I kind of justified it because it was a workout day and I knew that Mike would beat every last calorie out of me.


Oh, I just remembered that I did take pictures of my meal:




If you go to Malawi's and you like good food - and happiness, order the thai beef pasta. It is heaven on a plate. The chicken caesar salad is really good as well.


We had a great lunch and headed back to the office after an hour or so. We walked in the back door and all parted ways to go to our desks. I headed toward the kitchen to put my takeout box in the fridge.




I want the record to show that I only ate 1/2 of the 1/2 order of pasta. (Plus, Mike occasionally ventures onto this blog and I'm pretty sure I'll be doing extra laps the workout after he reads this even though we've for sure reached the statute of limitations by now). As I walked past our good friend Jessica's cubicle, she frantically waved her arms and whispered loudly, "Mike's here!"


What?! Mike who?



But, of course, I immediately knew.



And, there I was with a freaking takeout box full of freaking pasta. That I never eat and never order, except for the day Mike is waiting for us to return from lunch.


So, I did the only thing I could think of. I jumped into Jessica's cube, threw open her locker door, shoved the box in, quickly shut it and ran away.


Quick thinking, right?



And, guess what?...I, like, totally pulled it off! (till he reads this, anyway) Hooray!! I walked the long way around our neighborhood of cubicles and nonchalantly came around the corner and was like, "Oh, hey Mike! Good to see you!"


You know, cuz I'm cool like that.


So, the moral of this story is this: if you are going to cheat on your diet, don't take any leftovers. They are evidence. If you do decide to take the risk, at least look for Mike's truck in the parking lot before you head back into work. 



And always, always have good friends around who have your back.


Thanks Jessica. I owe you!





No comments:

Post a Comment