Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Guest Post - Rae

Rae is one of our lovely co-workers who has been with us in this journey since day #1. She's awesome!

Well here I go. This is what has been on my mind lately so I hope it is ok to share with all of you – whoever “you” are.

"Do it because you can’t!" Don’t give in, don’t give up and whenever you feel yourself sliding into an “I can’t” moment, get out of it by doing what you can’t.  That is what I have found to be my saving grace in all of this. 
What a trek this last six months has been, from our first workout when we were sure we were going to die until our most recent workout where I am sure we all did really die there for a moment.  Getting healthy is hard work, it takes time, it takes sacrifice and it takes conquering the “I can’ts” of life. 

My new favorite saying (haha no grammar teacher would appreciate it) is “I do it because I can’t.” This is because six months ago I was more than 30 pounds heavier, looking to go up again another pant size, wondering how my rear-end “all of the sudden” became large enough to have its own zip code, knowing that I could not run at all because of permanent nerve damage to my foot, leg and back (long boring story) and knowing that I was too weak to do anything because of my Fibromyalgia(diagnosed 15 years ago). I let my CAN’T moments run my life.  

I was not always this way but as of 7 years ago when I had back surgery I decided that “I can’t” seemed safer that “I can”.

I was WRONG! Recently I have dropped pants, shirt, dress and skirt sizes…heck, even my socks are getting to loose (how the heck does that happen?). I have learned that Yes, my knees do sweat (who would have thought that was possible?). I have lost a couple of extra rolls on my mid-section, given up a few extra “chins” I was allowing to hang around and my favorite part is that my rear end has lost the “zip code” it had been given.

I - a 41 Year old - wife, mother and full-time working woman have done this – I have done it. But, I have not done it alone; I have had so much support and help along the way. I cannot name all who have helped me because I am sure to leave out a name by mistake but you all know who you are. I have done this with will that I did not know I had, with strength I did not know I could fine, with power I did not know I could possess and with hope to be a better example for my family.

Do it! Do it because you can’t! I even ran a 5K on the 4th of July! I thought I would die, but I did it – if I did it you can(t) too! Best foot forward. I believe in you!


- Rae



Thanks Rae!

No comments:

Post a Comment