Monday, August 25, 2014

My Very Own 5k





Hey guys, guess what?! I ran a 5k yesterday morning!




Did you hear me? I RAN a 5k! Hooray!





I had the hardest time getting my butt on the treadmill. I got up and put on my workout stuff, then walked around my house finding other things to do for like an hour. Zero motivation. But, I finally strapped on my trusty Adidas trainers and made it onto the treadmill. I usually walk for the first 5 minutes just to warm up, but decided just to go for it and it felt great! (Wait, did I just say that running felt great?!) So weird!



Ok, it was a super slow run (4.4 mph) and it wasn’t even an “official” 5k – unless running on my treadmill in my air conditioned office with a fan blowing on me counts as official. But I actually ran (and by ‘ran’ I mean a super slow Cali shuffle) the whole thing – except I am not coordinated enough to drink from my water bottle while in motion, so I took a quick water break for one minute when I hit the 30 minute mark.



So, I didn’t make good time, by any stretch of anyone’s imagination, but it’s another accomplishment in my journey and I’m pretty excited about it. My whole team is doing a 5k this coming Saturday, so I thought it would be good to see how it will be. I know that running on a treadmill is way easier than running outside because I’m not running at an incline (not yet anyway), I can keep a steady pace and I can control my environment (A/C, fan, no curbs, no traffic, no people, no dog poop), plus I had the nice distraction of the latest Bachelor in Paradise episode (those people sure make me feel like I have my life together) to keep me entertained. But, I’m still moving forward and that’s a good thing.



So, last night as I was getting ready for bed I thought, “It would be so cool if I ran 3.11 miles every morning this week to get ready for Saturday’s race.” Good idea, huh? Well, it sounded good at 10 pm last night. It didn’t sound quite as good at 5:15 this morning after a night of tossing and turning (stupid insomnia). Actually, I don’t even remember turning off the 5:15 alarm. I officially gained consciousness with the 6 a.m. alarm (it's normal to have to set multiple alarms, right?). Oh well, I’ll see how tonight goes – and there’s always tomorrow, right?



So, here are the stats for my very own Sunday morning 5k. (I had to stop the treadmill to get a photo, but I went 4.4 mph the whole time). And, I couldn’t remember exactly how far a 5k is, so I just rounded up and went 3.2 miles. I’ll start adding more speed and incline the more I do this.






1 comment:

  1. WAY TO GO!!! That's awesome! I have been trying to train for the upcoming 5K as well. But I don't think I've actually been doing as great as you. You're my hero. I want to be like you. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete