Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Frustrated


(This happened 6/12/14)


Cali here. We just had a weigh-in that didn't go so well. I am not perfect at working out or nutrition, but I feel like I've been doing really well the past couple of weeks. Mike warned us about one day before that we would be weighing in today, so I did the regular preparatory things like eating super clean, drinking enough water, doing some cardio this morning and taking plenty of laxatives and diuretics throughout the day (totally kidding on the last part - please do not take laxatives and/or diuretics for weight loss). 



I did lose weight, but only 2 elbees.



Two little tiny pounds. Yes, I am excited not completely bummed out that I didn't gain weight and that I did go down, even if it wasn't much. Mike did not share the same feelings. He has this look of disappointment that just makes me feel sad (and completely ashamed) and he sure brought it out tonight. Plus, he told me - flat out - that 2 pounds wasn't anywhere near good enough. So, he sat down and had a heart-to-heart with all of us. Well, it was more of us girls sitting on the floor, avoiding eye contact and Mike telling us that we have to do better. We definitely need to hear it, but it's still not fun. After a few minutes, I had had enough chastisement and asked if we could just start the workout. He probably didn't appreciate that too much but he humored me.



A few minutes later, I was doing shoulder presses in the corner, wallowing in self pity - still not making eye contact with anyone when Mike marched over with a measuring tape and pulled it around my mid-section right as I was lifting the weights. He didn't hesitate or ask permission.


Okay then. Not really sure why anyone would want to be that close to me while I'm working out - the smell is not pleasant, especially with my arms raised - but come on over! (Any personal space issues I had in my prior life have long gone out the window).




He immediately got a huge grin on his face. "Well, you may have only lost 2 pounds, but you have lost FIVE INCHES around your mid-section."





WHAT?! Are you kidding me? What is going on here?





So, clearly, I am still moving in the right direction. I felt so much better. It just goes to show that how much weight you lose - or don't lose - only tells part of the story. Muscle weighs more than fat so when I'm working out hard and lifting a lot of weight and getting more toned, I won't be losing weight as quickly. Mike assures me that it will come but I don't really care what the scale says. It's just a number. What really matters is how I look and feel - and how my clothes fit.





Here's to moving in the right direction.



No comments:

Post a Comment