Sunday, July 13, 2014

The Final Weigh-In

(I wrote this and posted it on my personal blog on 5/17/14)



The Biggest Loser competition has officially come to an end.



I have mixed feelings about it. I am glad that I don't have to feel so much pressure (and guilt) about everything I do and don't do regarding nutrition and exercise, but it was nice to be motivated to work hard and keep things in check.


But, the best part of this whole competition - besides the positive changes to my health, appearance and well-being, is the closeness I feel with my team. I am so lucky to work with these ladies, but more so to be friends with them. They are incredibly supportive and encouraging. It's so awesome that when I get frustrated and/or discouraged, all of them jump to make me feel better and keep me moving forward.


Also, I don't know how I've lived without Mike in my life. He is seriously so awesome. Yes, I complain to and about him a lot, but I am so grateful that he pushes me and has faith in me. It means a lot. There are actually 2 Mikes. Cool guy, funny Mike and Trainer Mike. They are very, very different individuals. He is normally super funny, smiley, huggy (yes, especially when we are super smelly and sweaty - it's gross) but when it's time to train, he is the devil.


"Mike, I can't breathe."

"That's okay, I know CPR. Keep moving."



"Mike, I can't physically do one more push-up/squat/lunge/lap/bleacher. I am going to pass out/throw-up/die."

"You're fine. Keep moving."


On Thursday, we were all suffering through an intense ab circuit on the grass at the track. We could do any ab workout of our choice but we had to do it for like 100 hours. It was torture - literally.


"I don't care. Keep moving."


My girls are so funny. If I wasn't in such intense pain and under Mike's watchful eye, I would just be laughing the whole time. 


Wait, that's an ab workout, right?!


At one point all of the girls were grunting and moaning. It was so hilarious. I said, "Man, it sounds like we are at a birthing center!"



And Mike broke his somber character and actually laughed.



I will chalk that up as a win because he never comes out of Trainer Mike mode when we're working out. And I have no idea how he stays so serious. We have to look so ridiculous all of the time that he should be laughing the whole time he's with us.


So, the final weigh-in was yesterday. I worked hard this last month but didn't do anything super crazy. I did pretty well with nutrition and worked out a lot. I could have done more, but I did okay...and, I lost 11 more pounds. Hooray! We weighed in at 9 am but didn't get the final results/standings until last night at the celebratory BBQ. Most of the contestants did really well - some cheated and lost a ton of weight by doing Medifast and other diets/cleanses so I didn't get in the top 5. Actually, I was 7th, but that's okay. Overall, I lost a total of 10.8% so that's a win in my book.


And, I'm just getting started.


And, you guys, guess what I did today?! First, I need to share that I am NOT a runner. I have never, ever, ever enjoyed running, jogging or really anything faster than a brisk walk. It's just not fun for me. Not even one time in my whole life.

It's not only NOT fun, but it's painful.


I'm supposed to be doing 45 minutes of cardio every day that I don't train with Mike. This has not been going super well for me. I need to be better about making the time and finding motivation. I need to start getting up at 5 am...but I like sleep so much! It is getting lighter earlier, so that helps, but it's still so hard.

Well, this morning, I got up at the early hour of 9 am (I heart Saturdays) and jumped dragged my lazy body to the treadmill. After I pulled off all the laundry and other misc items, I plugged her in and got started. I walked for 5 minutes (3.5), then JOGGED for...



...Drumroll please...




15 minutes!


Did you hear me? FIFTEEN MINUTES! I know, I know, that's like no time for all you runners and in-shape people, but it's HUGE for us recovering couch/potato chip/Mountain Dew addicts.



Huge.


Okay, it was a slow jog at 4.2 mph but I have never even slow jogged for that long without stopping. A couple of weeks ago, I barely made it 5 minutes and stopped for fear that I would fly off the treadmill and smash all the items in my hoarding room/office and break a hip.



15 minutes!



And, the best part is that I wasn't completely blasted after the 15 mins. I was able to walk at a brisk pace at an incline for another 35 minutes.



It's pretty exciting.



When I told Brianne and Erica, they immediately started planning a 5k. Oookay, let's not get ahead of ourselves. One accomplishment at a time, please.


Speaking of Erica and Brianne...they BOTH made it in the top 5 winners. I am so proud of them!


Go Pink Team!


And, I'll leave you with this gem 'cuz I love you.




You are welcome.




1 comment:

  1. Cali!! You are soooo hilarious and adorable! I have just been reading through your blog and this one had me laughing outloud! Thanks for sharing your health journey! It makes me excited to do a health challenge I have coming up in the next couple weeks! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete